Sports betting is legal in a number of countries and is available for a variety of sports leagues. Some of the major sports leagues that offer sports gambling include:
- National Football League (NFL)
- National Basketball Association (NBA)
- Major League Baseball (MLB)
- National Hockey League (NHL)
- Major League Soccer (MLS)
- Australian Football League (AFL)
- National Rugby League (NRL)
- English Premier League (EPL)
- Union of European Football Associations (UEFA)
- International Cricket Council (ICC)
These leagues offer a variety of betting options and can be bet on thanks to the many online Sportsbooks.
There are several types of bets that can be placed on sporting events. Here are a few common types of bets:
- Moneyline bet: This is a bet on which team or player will win the game or event. The odds are expressed as a positive or negative number, with a negative number indicating the favorite and a positive number indicating the underdog.
- Point spread bet: This is a bet on the margin of victory in a game. The favorite is given a certain number of points and the underdog is given a plus sign and that same number of points. For example, if the point spread is -7, the favorite must win by more than 7 points for the bet to be a winner. If the point spread is +7, the underdog must either win the game or lose by less than 7 points for the bet to be a winner.
- Over/under bet: This is a bet on the total number of points, goals, or runs scored in a game. The sportsbook sets a number and bettors can wager on whether the final score will be over or under that number.
- Parlay bet: This is a bet that combines two or more bets into a single wager. All bets in a parlay must be winners for the parlay to be a winner.
- Proposition bet: This is a bet on a specific event or outcome within a game. Proposition bets can be on a wide range of things, such as which team will score first or who will win the coin toss.